Keflavik Airport - Reykjavík city centre
Transfer Bus Keflavik Airport Reykjavík city centre
Journey time: 40 min
|Keflavik Airport||Reykjavík Centre|
Definition of child: (4 to 12 years old) Definition of infant: (0 to 3 years old)
DID YOU KNOW?
Passengers are allowed up to 2 pieces of luggage with no extra cost.
The buses from the Airport leave every 30-40 minutes after the landing of each flight.
Kids up to 11 years old travel free.
See all the bus stops on the map here.
Printed tickets are not compulsory.
Keflavík International Airport is Iceland's main airport and it is located a few kilometres from the city of Keflavík and about 50km from the centre of Reykjavík.
Keflavík is the first and main hub of the flag carrier Icelandair and of the low-cost airline known as WOW Air.
The airport operates mainly international flights however, during summer time, it is also used for internal flights to and from Akureyri, a city located in the north.
Keflavík Airport disposes of two airstrips and of one air terminal.
Keflavík airport was built by the Americans during World War II and opened to the public on March 23rd 1943. The airport had a significant role during WWII by becoming a key spot for transatlantic flights. A new terminal was opened in 1987, which increased the number of passengers by five times. Since 2006 the airport has been under the supervision of Iceland's government. An increase of almost 10 millions passengers a year is predicted by 2020.
The commercial gallery's design is inspired by Iceland's culture and history and it also perfectly embraces Iceland's diversity and uniqueness.
TRANSFERS FROM AND TO KEFLAVÍK AIRPORT:
The best solution for reaching Reykjavík city centre from Keflavík Airport is to make use of the diverse kinds of bus services. In fact both public and private buses that reach the city centre depart from Keflavík airport.
Additionally it is possible to reach the city of Reykjavík by taxi or by renting a car
Bus from Keflavík Airport to Reykjavík city centre:
• Public Buses: Bus #55 is one of Strætó's urban buses and connects the airport to Reykjavík's city centre by stopping at:
KEF Airport →Reykjanesbær →Keilir → Fjörður → Reykjavík/HÍ;
- Monday to Friday: from 06:35am to 11:47pm
- Saturday: from 06:55am to 11:47pm
- Sunday and public holidays: from 10:55 am to 11:47pm
The price for a single route is 470 Icelandic kròna (4€) I. Travel time is about one hour; however if the bus does not stop near to your accommodation this may not be the best option.
Strætó's company buses also connect to the suburbs of Hafnarfjörour, Seltjarnarnes, the city of Kópavogur (Iceland's second largest city), Garðabær, Mosfellsbær.
• Private Buses: Terravision, Flybus e Airport Direct.
- Terravision (in collaboration with GrayLine) offers a transfer service from the airport to the city centre. Tickets cost 20€ and kids up to 11 years old are free of charge. Tickets need to be purchased online, it is possible to modify travel dates at any moment. Travel time is about 40 minutes and buses depart every 30/40 minutes according to landings. Every passenger is allowed to two pieces of luggage free of additional charges.
Gray Line Sales Desk can be found at the airport’s arrival lounge, while the bus stop is located just outside the terminal.
- Flybus buses (operated by Reykjavík airline company) depart every 35-40 minutes and offer a direct connection to Reykjavík 's city centre. Travel time is about 45 minutes.The bus stops Reykjavík's BSI bus station and also, if desired, at the Hotel Viking in Hafnarfjörður and at Aktu Taktu restaurant in Garðabær. Bus tickets must be purchased online. Adults pay 5499 Icelandic kròna (about 40 €), kids from 12 to 15 years of age pay 2750 Icelandic kròna (about 20€), while kids under 11 years are free of charge. The bus stop is located outside the terminal.
Airport Direct buses depart from the airport's terminal (Skógarhlíð Street). Travel time to reach Reykjavík's city centre is about 45 minutes, stopping just once at Hamraborg, Kópavogur. Tickets need to be purchased online. Adults pay 2499 Icelandic kròna (about 18€), kids under 13 years are free of charge. With an additional charge of 950 Icelandic kròna passengers can require to be dropped off directly at their accommodation or at the nearest bus stop. Moreover Airport Direct offers a premium service where you'll be allocated on private buses with max. 8 passengers and you will be dropped off exactly where required. The departure point is located at the arrivals area.
Taxis from Keflavík Airport to Reykjavík city centre:
The airport’s taxi service is available 24 hours a day. Airport Taxi, Borgarbílastöðin, BSR, City taxi and Hreyfill are the five taxi companies providing their services at the airport. It is advisable to request the approximate fare before entering the taxi as there are no fixed fares. Travel time is about 45 minutes.
Car rental at Keflavík Airport:
At the airport’s terminal arrival area you can find four diverse car rental companies:
• Avis and Budget operating from 04.00am to 01:00am
• BílaleigaAakureyar and Europcar operating from 05.30 am to 01:00 am
• Herz operating 24 hours a day
Each company offers the option of pre-booking your car online.
For those willing to do a road trip with the aim of discovering Iceland this might be the best alternative. In fact popular spots, such as Blue Lagoon and Grindavik, can be reached in only 20 minutes by car from the airport.
Once you have completed the check-in (there are 50 available spots for the self-service-check-in), you'll need to go through the standard security controls. Make sure your hand-luggage does not contain any forbidden items in order to quicken the security procedures. Keflavík Airport does not offer a prohibited items' deposit. Liquids must be under 100 ml and need to be put within transparent bags. Once gone through security controls, passengers can purchase liquids at the duty free. In the case of coincidence flights, liquids and payment receipt are put into a closed bag, which must not be opened until the final destination is reached.
KEFLAVIK AIRPORT SERVICES:
Below are some of the services that can be found at Keflavík Airport:
• free and unlimited Wi-Fi
• specific services for disabled passengers or passengers with particular needs
• Meet& assistance and greeting services: passengers willing to purchase this services have a quicker access to security controls and can purchase the access tickets for the Icelandair Saga Lounge
• Fast Track service to avoid queues
• additional services: charging stations, play area for children, bars and restaurants, shops, post offices, ATMs etc.
More info can be found on the airport's official website: